[outages] Facebook down?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Nov 18 16:26:53 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:28:07PM -0500, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Some operations do depend on Facebook.

But why should the rest of us indulge this exceedingly poor choice?

I expect to see traffic on "outages" that discusses Internet/telecom
infrastructure outages -- that is, fiber cuts, circuit issues, prefix
snafus, DNS botches, carrier downtime, etc.  I don't expect to see
traffic about any particular web site, *unless* that traffic is using
that web site as an example of what the problem is, or as part of a
symptom report, or to delineate the scope of a problem.  Not Facebook,
not Google, not Amazon, not eBay -- none of them are important enough
or will ever be important enough to merit the same level of concern. [1]

Now, I do get that some users out there conflate "Facebook" (or perhaps
"Google" or some other site) with "the Internet".  That's unfortunate, and
I really do feel badly for front-line personnel who must deal with these
people.  But I would rather buy those folks a good bottle of scotch so
that they can drown their troubles, and keep all that noise off here.

---rsk

[1] Alright, alright, I have just been elbowed and forced to concede
that an ICanHazCheeseburger outage is equivalent to the Apocalypse, the
implosion of the sun, the eruption of all Pacific rim volcanoes, and the
alignment of all 8...9...8...whatever planets all rolled into one.  Fine.
Report THAT.  But just that one.