[outages] Netflix

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 15 10:32:07 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Michael R. Self" <michael.self at phonefusion.com>

> Seriously people. There are thousands of us on this list that use it
> FOR REAL. Some one having an issue with degraded Netflix streaming or
> they can't pull up their Facebook page is an abuse of this fine
> instrument we have for REAL problems.
>
> Fibers cuts, Level3 ATM switches going down, EC2 AZ problems, etc. are
> real and service affecting to those of us that run networks and
> companies. Not one person's evening entertainment quality being
> reduced.
>
> Can I please propose that we police ourselves enough to know that if
> what we are posting doesn't affect a large populous OR isn't
> germain to our livelihoods (network admins, techs, engineers, NOC
> personnel at any common carrier or ISP, etc) that it not be posted?

Well, our 'charter' (posted on the wiki), says:

"""
Our primary focus tends to be Critical Internet Infrastructure such as IXPs, DNS root servers, major carriers, major data center, carrier hotel, COs, etc., related outages, but other sorts of things -- telecom/BlackBerry problems, AIM dying again, etc -- are certainly within our scope here as well. For years many have argued “what constitutes critical infrastructure”. A single clear cut definition has yet to be devised.

Infrastructure is constantly changing; a moving target, so to speak, and what's important to one may not be as important to others. You are welcome to adopt whatever definition of 'criticality' you like.
"""

We've discussed in the past the fact that eyeball networks contain lots
of paying customers who do, in fact, care if they can't get to Netflix or
Facebook, and that their money makes the issue on-topic for this list.

That said, I will agree that a *bit* more investigation is called for,
both by people who are inquiring, and people who are reporting for good
or ill.

Please see my next posting on that point.

> Today, any email from OUTAGES commands attention, respect and is a
> community, voluntary call to action -- like ringing the bell in an old
> west town. Let's please keep it that way.

Excellent viewpoint.

Cheers,
-- jra