[outages] Major Fiber Cut in Miami

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sat Mar 5 16:49:57 EST 2011

> On Behalf Of Frank Bulk
> Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 1:27 PM
> To: 'Owen DeLong'
> Cc: outages at outages.org
> Subject: Re: [outages] Major Fiber Cut in Miami
>
> While you're technically correct, it's not how it's commonly
> implemented.
> Well, maybe it's more common than I was aware. =)  It's not how
> regional and
> state fiber networks in our neck of the woods do it.
>
> Frank

Concur.  If a customer buys a "ring" they expect a ring.  Protection is
implied.  If they buy a point-to-point, that is a different story.  A
protected point-to-point might be provisioned on a ring or it might be
provisioned with two separate point-to-point circuits.

A "SONET ring failure" would require two faults.  That said, I have seen
cases where both sides of the ring enter a building by the same trench
allowing one case of backhoe fade to take out the entire building.