[outages] More notes

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Nov 7 22:10:55 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> said:
>> It's too bad that Junipers bugs aren't listed publicly. For clueful
>> network operations, having this information available to them could
>> have enabled them to properly weigh the risk of evaluating and
>> certifying versions of their operating systems.
>
> Well, you have to have support to get a fixed JUNOS, and if you have
> support, you can subscribe to notifications about new PSNs (based on
> device, OS, etc.).  I get email about PSNs relevant to my hardware and
> software, and I go read them to see if the apply to my specific setup.

Am I wrong in thinking that not all PSNs are public, even to
contract-holding customers

There have been times in interacting with their sales engineering
group and JTAC, who have sent me bug details that were not locatable
when searching their PSN database.

I have a feeling that PSNs are only noted and released to customers
once there's a fix for a problem.

This is getting off-topic somewhat, so I suggest we leave this thread
be to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high.
There's more in-depth discussion taking place on NANOG.

Cheers,
jof