[outages] EC2 east region

Darius Jahandarie djahandarie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:08:27 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 05:54, Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net> wrote:
> What was interesting is that Twitter reacted before Amazon's status page
> did.  Makes me wonder if that's a monitoring failure on Amazon's part, or a
> more cynical "Let's not tell them we're down and see if they notice"
> position.

Around a week ago, I had (non-fatal) connectivity issues for hours in
the US-WEST-1 region across multiple unrelated instances that I
actually reported to them, and it still never made it to their status
page. Similar but more fatal problems then reoccurred the next day,
and those finally made it to their status page after about a 30 minute
delay.

I really wish they would release some sort of postmortem about these
sort of things, rather than just the generic "connectivity issues" we
get on their status page. I could certainly speculate about what sort
of issues they wouldn't want to disclose (e.g., successful attacks on
AWS infrastructure), but speculation often leads to the wrong answer
when you don't have proper information.

--
Darius Jahandarie