[outages] Syria off the net

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Nov 30 12:56:37 EST 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 12:40 , Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com> wrote:

> FYI they shut everything - cellular access also.
>
> I tried to reach out to an engineer in country via a contact I have but he
> cant reach them for this reason. I'm guessing they'll find a backdoor at
> some point but right now it seems they didnt.

A gov't which sets up things in advance to have absolute control can do devastating things to communications infrastructure.

It is nice to sit outside and talk about backdoors, int'l 3G roaming, satellite, etc., but from in-country, most people probably didn't spend a lot of money - and risk being put in jail or worse! - setting up dishes or the like just in case al-Assad proved to be an even bigger dick than some thought.  (Personally, I'm surprised it took him this long.)

So, let's just hope this ends quickly - for everyone's sake.  It probably won't take long if he is this desperate.  I hope....

--
TTFN,
patrick