[outages] Godaddy / Premium DNS outage?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Oct 6 08:35:35 EDT 2012

--
Warren Kumari

On Friday, October 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM, ryanL wrote:

> so, redistributed eBGP into IGP? how does one 210x their routing table? i appreciate the openness, but it doesn't sound like a "perfect storm" to me. it sounds like someone screwed up.

Could be someone screwed up, could have been caused by a bug.

Your assumption that this was redistribution of eBGP -> IGP is not really backed up by the text. if I had to guess, I'd suppose that they have devices (like cisco 4900 series) that don't have enough memory / FIB / TCAM for full tables. Normally they only send partial routes (such as internal only / large aggregates / something) and accidentally or though a bug dropped filter and overflowed these devices…

But, whatever the case, GoDaddy has released a somewhat reasonable post-mortem, sounds like they are / have addressed the issue and os it shouldn't happen again, etc.
As many know, I'm not a real of GoDaddy, but credit where it is due…

Running a large network is non-trivial, sometimes s%#@t happens -- at least GoDaddy was willing to publish something and not just hand wave this away…

We keep kvetching that folk never publish postmortems when they have an outage -- lets not attack them when they do…