[outages] 8x8 outage/111 8th Ave NYC

Chris Sheats yawnbox at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:25:52 EDT 2012

Info from Zayo:

The local power provider in the NY Market, ConEd, has intentionally
de-energized power systems in the New York metropolitan area to reduce
system damage as salt water has entered the underground infrastructure.
Additionally, power outages have been observed in the Newark metropolitan
area affecting the Zayo facility at 165 Halsey.   All Zayo facilities that
have sustained a loss of commercial power are currently operating normally
on generator backup, and refueling arrangements are being made for all Zayo
owned generators at this time to ensure continuous operation of Zayo
facilities and equipment.  A current readout by site of our current
generator runtime is as follows:

    - *60 Hudson (NY)*
         - 1st Floor MMR (Meet Me Room) 18 Hours of generator backup, with
         additional fuel onsite to replenish the generator
         - 12th Floor has 30+ hours or generator back up
         - 15th and 19th Colocation Floor 30+ hours or generator back up
         which is provided by the building

**Fuel supplier has tankers inside the city of New York to deliver fuel to
Zayo when necessary.*

    - *111 8th Ave (NY)*
         - Has 90,000 gallons of fuel, which is able to provide up to 4
         days of power

    - *165 Halsey (NJ)*
         - 5th Floor has 17+ hours of generator backup
         - 10th Floor has 30+ hours of generator backup

At this point, we are experiencing multiple fiber cuts as a result of the
storm which has resulted in service interruptions to transport services in
the Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York markets.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> Because salt water and electricity are a bad combination, NY has shut down
> large sections of power as a precaution in preparation for expected storm
> surges that are likely to flood many of the underground facilities. These
> precautionary outages will very likely make it a whole lot easier to
> restore power much sooner after Sandy finishes pounding the area.
>
> It's actually a surprisingly wise thing for them to have done. However,
> for it to work out well, they would have had to offline the back-up
> generators and disconnect the battery systems as well. I don't know to what
> extent that will have happened.
>
> Owen
>
> On Oct 29, 2012, at 20:39 , Lonnie Bozeman <Lonnie.Bozeman at coresite.com>
> wrote:
>
>  They have shut sections of the grid off..
>

>  Lonnie Bozeman
> Operations Manager
>
> CORESITE
> (NYSE: COR)
> 900 N. Alameda St. Suite 200
> Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
> +1 213.327.1204  | Office
> +1 213.598.1739  | Cell
> +1 213.327.1289  | eFax
>
> Lonnie.Bozeman at CoreSite.com| www.CoreSite.com
>
> Jim Meyer <jim at geekdaily.org> wrote:
> Our hosts there are not responding as of 10:58p EDT.
>
>  We've got no news but are assuming it's Sandy coming to town.
>
>  --j

Chris Sheats
yawnbox at gmail.com