[outages] NO, no; not Google. Sprint's WiMAX proxies.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 18 12:33:33 EDT 2013

I tend to forget that lots of people read lists in threaded mailers, since
I don't anymore, and therefore lots of people didn't see my folo:

I got the same error, *with the exact same Apache line* (Google doesn't
use Apache, much less Lenny, as several people pointed out), from eBay
about half an hour later; all of that stuff was gone by half an hour after
that (exacerbated by the list mailer being somewhat cranky); the problem
has now cleared itself up.

But this was, in fact, a good example of why reports with insufficient data
are ... less useful than the other sort, and I should in fact know better.

Clearly this was, as several people suggested, a failure of some transparent
proxy along the way -- well, a *semi* transparent proxy, which rewrote the
Apache signature, when it really shouldn't have (and I have previously seen
such transparent proxies not do so, and include their own address instead
in the footer) -- and the likely candidate, given where I am just now, is
Sprint's WiMAX 4G network.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers,
-- jra