[outages] Ok, ok; Jeezus, people... it was a joke.

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Thu Feb 7 20:41:49 EST 2013

On 8 February 2013 01:26, Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com>wrote:
>
>> It should be but it seems to have descended into website outage, dns
>> blips and localised cable provider reporting lately.
>>
>> Perhaps time for a new list with less noise?
>>

> Or a stronger definition of "major?"  I recently started a discussion on a
> state-wide Cox outage.  That seems major to me, but I really don't know if
> that's within the list terms.  Many times people post up that their one
> home internet connection is down, which clearly is outside the scope.  Some
> better definition and enforcement of such may help.
>

> I'd agree.  The problem is, when it's YOUR connection that's down, it's
> major.  When it's someone you never speak to, it doesn't matter at all.
>  Between those two extremes, it's all "shades of gray."
>
> There was a discussion on whether Facebook is a major part of
> "infrastructure" some time ago.  As much as most of us would like to say
> it's not, the reality is that to many end users it is the internet or the
> e-mail system.  Does this list apply to that?
>

> I'd argue yes; the reason I cared a whit about Facebook isn't because I
> have end-users who use it, but that my employer offers OAuth via Facebook
> Connect.  When THAT goes down, it affects all manner of things.

Is this a serious answer? Because something is important to you it should
fall into the definition of  "failures of major communications
infrastructure components having significant traffic-carrying capacity" ?

.. thats precisely the definition of something thats a localised issue and
should not be shared outside that community. You need to subscribe to an
OAuth mailing list.

Steve