[outages] Ok, ok; Jeezus, people... it was a joke.

Corey Quinn corey at sequestered.net
Thu Feb 7 20:26:48 EST 2013

On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com> wrote:
> It should be but it seems to have descended into website outage, dns blips and localised cable provider reporting lately.
>
> Perhaps time for a new list with less noise?
>
> Or a stronger definition of "major?"  I recently started a discussion on a state-wide Cox outage.  That seems major to me, but I really don't know if that's within the list terms.  Many times people post up that their one home internet connection is down, which clearly is outside the scope.  Some better definition and enforcement of such may help.

I'd agree.  The problem is, when it's YOUR connection that's down, it's major.  When it's someone you never speak to, it doesn't matter at all.  Between those two extremes, it's all "shades of gray."

> There was a discussion on whether Facebook is a major part of "infrastructure" some time ago.  As much as most of us would like to say it's not, the reality is that to many end users it is the internet or the e-mail system.  Does this list apply to that?

I'd argue yes; the reason I cared a whit about Facebook isn't because I have end-users who use it, but that my employer offers OAuth via Facebook Connect.  When THAT goes down, it affects all manner of things.

-- Corey