[outages] Ok, ok; Jeezus, people... it was a joke.

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Thu Feb 7 20:25:44 EST 2013

On 8 February 2013 01:04, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com>wrote:
>
>> It should be but it seems to have descended into website outage, dns
>> blips and localised cable provider reporting lately.
>>
>> Perhaps time for a new list with less noise?
>>

> Or a stronger definition of "major?"  I recently started a discussion on a
> state-wide Cox outage.  That seems major to me, but I really don't know if
> that's within the list terms.  Many times people post up that their one
> home internet connection is down, which clearly is outside the scope.  Some
> better definition and enforcement of such may help.

Maybe someone can update the mailman page which defines the list's purpose
and perhaps step in with some occasional moderation? Who exactly are the
list owners (not the server, the list)..

> There was a discussion on whether Facebook is a major part of
> "infrastructure" some time ago.  As much as most of us would like to say
> it's not, the reality is that to many end users it is the internet or the
> e-mail system.  Does this list apply to that?

Based on this: "failures of major communications infrastructure components
having significant traffic-carrying capacity"

I would say this is backbone fibre outages only, sea cable cuts, full
regional affecting issues etc.

Websites and DNS belongs to NANOG.. or downforeveryoneorjustme.com

Put another way, I can work out myself if there is a facebook or google
outage and dont need to compare reports from 100 areas of the world none of
which factor in the technology which distributed applications and sites use.

What I think the above defines is clear "cable X is cut on bridge Y between
cities A and B affecting providers L+M who both use this duct" type of
notifications - things that are precise and fundamental in their nature.

> I'm subscribed here so I can learn of things that will affect our
> customers, and therefore us.  We are a VoIP hosted service company with
> customers globally, to IP and PSTN outages everywhere affect us.

Exactly, and they will be continual and high volume in nature.. you will
only gain real value in knowing of large infrastructure problems which
affect many things simultaneously.

my 2c.
Steve