[outages] SEA-ME-WE3 undersea cable cut

Nicolas Hyvernat puck at republique.org
Wed Jan 16 05:50:43 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 08:05:05PM +1300, Ben Aitchison wrote:
> Curious.  Russia may be even worse.  I must admit I don't know a lot about Europe
> routing.  What I did find earlier was that India from UK wasn't too bad, using the
> looking glass server of vr.org which has lots of locations.

Between Mumbai (India) and Marseille (France), you have SMW4, TGN-EA,
SEACOM, etc... => about 100ms.
Note: Marseille is at about 21ms of London via Paris.

> Best I can seem to find is Japan <-> India of 125 to 132 msec, India <-> Uk of 161 msec.
>
> And the route from UK to Japan was like 278 to 285 going via new york/los angeles.
>
> That said the Japan traffic to India was going via Singapore, there may be a more direct
> path.  And I don't know if 161 is good for India <-> UK.

So far, from UK/France, with cables I've seen in use, you go East via
India to reach: Singapore, Hong-Kong.
But then, to reach Japan, you go West, via North America.

You can take a look at: http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

--
Nicolas Hyvernat