[outages] EasyDNS problems (probably network-related)

staticsafe me at staticsafe.ca
Mon Jun 3 23:49:58 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 03:58:12PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Got this today in the middle of browsing.  Possible root cause is listed
> at the bottom (from EasyDNS's twitter account):

> https://twitter.com/easyDNS
>
> > easyDNS.com . at easyDNS -- 1h
> >
> > We are getting reports of DNS issues which are looking like a DDoS (we
> > had a minor one yesterday) - investigating.
>
> Along with tons of responses to people telling them to add a third
> nameserver for better anycast distribution.
>
> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                http://jdc.koitsu.org/ |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.             PGP 4BD6C0CB |

Update 21:19 EST

This DDoS attack is different from our previous ones in that it looks as
if the target is us, easyDNS, not one of our clients.

It is proving difficult to isolate the real traffic from the DDoS
traffic, we are having some success now and are working on routing more
DNS traffic through those nodes that are successfully mitigating.

Some customers are adding out-of-band nameservers and loading their
zonedata from here (which is working), as outlined in:

http://blog.easydns.org/2010/08/19/dos-attacks-and-dns-how-to-stay-up-if-your-dns-provider-goes-down/

We'll be posting another update shortly.

- http://blog.easydns.org/2013/06/03/ddos-in-progress-2/
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post - http://goo.gl/YrmAb