[outages] tumblr custom domains names (72.32.231.8) are down (for good?)

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 19:07:11 EDT 2013

Dear outages@,

It would seem like there is no more any web-server at 72.32.231.8.
This IP address was the IP-address that you had to configure your
domain name with to have the "custom domain name" feature within
tumblr.

Currently if I log-in to tumblr, I'm told:
	"Please update your domain configurations for <..>. Learn more."
With the link from "Learn more" following to http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains.

It seems like it's been a couple of weeks (or even months) as this has
been the case, since my tumblr is almost completely gone from Google now.
However, there was no such message in the dashboard just a couple of
months ago earlier this year, so, this seems like a somewhat unannounced
and unexplained downtime.

	Why unexplained and unannounced?

There are no mentions of 72.32.231.8 on that "Learn more" page,
only 66.6.44.4 is mentioned, and, for completeness sake, no details
are provided for why anything has had / has to be updated in the first place,
or when the old IP-address will stop / has stopped serving custom domains.
And there is not much excuse for such information to be missing here,
since 66.6.32.0/20 has been allocated for TUMBLR a couple of years ago (2011-04-25),
yet it seems like it was never explained to the users at large that a change
was forthcoming.

Were people really supposed to change their settings when everything
was working and when nowhere was it explained that a downtime would
be forthcoming should a change not be made and the custom domain
not re-configured anew?

Well, just a heads-up and a rant, I guess.  (BTW, it seems like the RSS
imports feature has suffered a similar fate a couple of years prior, too.)

Best regards,
Constantine.