[outages] tumblr custom domains names (72.32.231.8) are down (for good?)

staticsafe me at staticsafe.ca
Sun Sep 29 19:27:40 EDT 2013

On 9/29/2013 19:07, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> Dear outages@,
>
> It would seem like there is no more any web-server at 72.32.231.8. This
> IP address was the IP-address that you had to configure your domain name
> with to have the "custom domain name" feature within tumblr.
>
> Currently if I log-in to tumblr, I'm told:     "Please update your
> domain configurations for <..>. Learn more." With the link from "Learn
> more" following to http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains.
>
> It seems like it's been a couple of weeks (or even months) as this has
> been the case, since my tumblr is almost completely gone from Google
> now. However, there was no such message in the dashboard just a couple
> of months ago earlier this year, so, this seems like a somewhat
> unannounced and unexplained downtime.
>
>      Why unexplained and unannounced?
>
> There are no mentions of 72.32.231.8 on that "Learn more" page, only
> 66.6.44.4 is mentioned, and, for completeness sake, no details are
> provided for why anything has had / has to be updated in the first
> place, or when the old IP-address will stop / has stopped serving custom
> domains. And there is not much excuse for such information to be missing
> here, since 66.6.32.0/20 has been allocated for TUMBLR a couple of years
> ago (2011-04-25), yet it seems like it was never explained to the users
> at large that a change was forthcoming.
>
> Were people really supposed to change their settings when everything was
> working and when nowhere was it explained that a downtime would be
> forthcoming should a change not be made and the custom domain not
> re-configured anew?
>
> Well, just a heads-up and a rant, I guess.  (BTW, it seems like the RSS
> imports feature has suffered a similar fate a couple of years prior, too.)
>
> Best regards,
> Constantine.

Not completely unannounced.

 From my e-mail archives on the 14th of June (3 months ago):

"Hi there!

We are making improvements to the way we serve our custom domain traffic
and need you to update your DNS settings before June 21.

For any custom domains using an A Record, please point them to Tumblr's
new IP: 66.6.44.4

If you do not make this update by June 21, your custom domain will no
longer redirect to your blog."

With a link to http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains.

They also sent 4 e-mails previously regarding the same thing.

--
staticsafe
Please don't top post. It is not logical.