[outages] tumblr custom domains names (72.32.231.8) are down (for good?)

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 20:00:27 EDT 2013

On 2013-W39-7 19:27 -0400, staticsafe wrote:
> On 9/29/2013 19:07, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> >Dear outages@,
> >
> >It would seem like there is no more any web-server at 72.32.231.8. This
> >IP address was the IP-address that you had to configure your domain name
> >with to have the "custom domain name" feature within tumblr.
> >
> >Currently if I log-in to tumblr, I'm told:     "Please update your
> >domain configurations for <..>. Learn more." With the link from "Learn
> >more" following to http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains.
> >
> >It seems like it's been a couple of weeks (or even months) as this has
> >been the case, since my tumblr is almost completely gone from Google
> >now. However, there was no such message in the dashboard just a couple
> >of months ago earlier this year, so, this seems like a somewhat
> >unannounced and unexplained downtime.
> >
> >     Why unexplained and unannounced?
> >
> >There are no mentions of 72.32.231.8 on that "Learn more" page, only
> >66.6.44.4 is mentioned, and, for completeness sake, no details are
> >provided for why anything has had / has to be updated in the first
> >place, or when the old IP-address will stop / has stopped serving custom
> >domains. And there is not much excuse for such information to be missing
> >here, since 66.6.32.0/20 has been allocated for TUMBLR a couple of years
> >ago (2011-04-25), yet it seems like it was never explained to the users
> >at large that a change was forthcoming.
> >
> >Were people really supposed to change their settings when everything was
> >working and when nowhere was it explained that a downtime would be
> >forthcoming should a change not be made and the custom domain not
> >re-configured anew?
> >
> >Well, just a heads-up and a rant, I guess.  (BTW, it seems like the RSS
> >imports feature has suffered a similar fate a couple of years prior, too.)
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Constantine.
>
> Not completely unannounced.
>
> From my e-mail archives on the 14th of June (3 months ago):
>
> "Hi there!
>
> We are making improvements to the way we serve our custom domain
> traffic and need you to update your DNS settings before June 21.
>
> For any custom domains using an A Record, please point them to
> Tumblr's new IP: 66.6.44.4
>
> If you do not make this update by June 21, your custom domain will
> no longer redirect to your blog."
>
> With a link to http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains.
>
> They also sent 4 e-mails previously regarding the same thing.

Yes, thank you.  I guess they did this time, and I did miss them all.

With the first of these emails dated 2013-05-24, suddenly requiring
to urgently make the change by June 21.

How nice, giving users a 3 week and 6 day period during the summer
to make a change to the new IP-address that has been in production
for probably more than a year or two prior to any such announcement,
urgent or otherwise.

C.