[outages] Barracuda ESS and Cloud Protection Layer global outage

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Dec 23 21:24:14 EST 2014

Just got your message, 11 hours later. =)

We saw the issue start Monday at 4:30 pm U.S. Central.  Our email server
logs noted:
	Open (64.235.150.197) Error 21sec (399 TCP Read failed (Connection
timed out after 0 seconds) 0 sec)
A few messages delivered Monday evening (last one was 6:46 am), but they
were at a stand-still this morning.

More here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2q6f3c/barracuda_spam_service_dow
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2q7buu/barracuda_email_security_s
ervice_outage/
https://twitter.com/barracuda?lang=en&lang=en

It appears that Barracuda didn't really dig in until this morning, at which
time they changed host IPs so that customers using their host as the
domain's MX record automatically would get the new IP (TTL-depending).

More on mailops, too.

Frank