[outages] Cogent /ATT and Verizon Peering alternatives

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Feb 11 12:23:11 EST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 08:34:08AM -0600, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> I don't expect you'll get the answer you want. They're pretty consistent on
> their policies. Why is this Cogent's fault and not Verizon's? From outside
> perspective, Verizon's customers requested the traffic, shouldn't they try
> to obtain it instead of hold their users hostage as a bargaining chip
> against their feeds?

If someone is singlehomed to Cogent, and their connectivity sucks, it's
their provider's (= Cogent's) job to fix the issue.  Not use that as a
lever to extort money from other ISPs.

The point is that Cogent is doing a fairly aggressive "we de-peer you,
and then we try to sell you transit traffic" strategy.  Some people
follow suit, some people refused to be blackmailed that way, and send
the traffic to their upstreams.

Next thing, the interconnect between those upstreams and Cogent fills
up (surprise), and Cogent refuses to upgrade (because they want to sell
bandwidth, no matter how much collateral damage they do to get there).

At least *we* are not going to support this business model, and we
encourage everyone else to also vote with their money.

We happily pay large gobs of money to our upstream providers who do not
try to play silly peering power games to the disadvantage of their customers
(positive counterexample that we're very happy to give money to: NTT).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de