[outages] Cogent /ATT and Verizon Peering alternatives

Geoff Brozny geoff at glorb.net
Tue Feb 11 16:59:24 EST 2014

On , Rusty Hodge wrote:
> FYI- This is the form letter that Cogent is sending to anyone who
> opens a ticket about the issues with Verizon. I'm starting to get a
> collection of them.
>

> Dear Cogent Customer,
>
> The latency and/or packet loss that you are experiencing to this
> destination is due to high traffic from one of our peers with Verizon.
> We have reached out to Verizon to request assistance resolving the
> amount of traffic they are sending on this peer and are awaiting their
> response. We will continue to reach out to them until they respond.
>
> If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us by
> e-mail at support at cogentco.com or by phone at 877-7COGENT
> (877-726-4368).
>
> Thank You,
>
> Cogent Communications
> T 877.726.4368, option 2
> F 202.295.9061
> E support at cogentco.com

This is what they are sending when you open a ticket about att:

Dear Cogent Customer,

The latency and/or packet loss that you are experiencing to this
destination
is due to occasional high traffic with ATT. We have repeatedly requested
augments to these congestion points and hope ATT will comply soon.
While
this has been escalated internally to the CEO level, we encourage you to
also contact ATT customer support with your concerns and complaints.
Their
delay is a major impediment to internet traffic overall and contrary to
net
neutrality requirements.  Our peering engineers will continue to address
this on a daily basis until resolved.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us by
e-mail
at support at cogentco.com or by phone at 877-7COGENT (877-726-4368).

Thank You,

Cogent Communications
T 877.726.4368, option 2
F 202.295.9061

Also there were issues between level3 and att, we managed to get Level3
to shuffle around the traffic a bit, as the peering connections were
running at 100%+ as well, this made things better, but supposedly things
are still pretty much full though.

geoff