[outages] WebEx Down

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Thu Feb 13 14:16:07 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:02:17AM -0800, Scott Howard wrote:
> Their DNS is broken - www.webex.com and other hosts in that domain are not
> resolving for me.

I think that may be a problem at your end, since resolution works just
fine for me here on at least some of their authoritative name servers.
(There seemed to be timeout problems on some of them, which makes me
think they mighta had a problem earlier.)  At the same time, given
that www.webex.com turns out to be a three-layer CNAME chain, just
about anything could be the problem here (and I didn't chase all the
alternatives).

[OT for outages, and FWIW, I will note that using nslookup for
troubleshooting the DNS is as likely as not to lead you astray.  I
stronly suggest you find a new tool.  Dig and drill are both free and
considerably better.  (Also, testing a recursive nameserver's
that means that _someone's_ DNS is broken, not necessarily the
authoritative's.)]

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.
asullivan at dyn.com