[outages] Recent Verizon Issues

Adam Kaminski adam at adamkaminski.com
Wed Jul 9 18:38:45 EDT 2014

Is anyone else experiencing issues with return traffic to the Verizon FIOS
network?

I've noticed that return traffic from our network destined for Verizon FIOS
customers either hits 0.xe-3-1-1-XL4.CHI13.ALTER.NET or
TenGigE0-2-0-1.GW5.CHI13.ALTER.net and dies off completely or continues on
through the Verizon network and experiences issues in the Dallas TX, Newark
NJ, or New York FIOS network portions.  I've attempted to route traffic out
different providers and this appears to alleviate the issues but I have
noticed the issue occasionally cropping back up and it appears to be at the
point where the other provider hands off to the Verizon network. I've
reached out to Verizon and they've been somewhat quiet with occasional
replies that they've identified a 'bad path" or replaced a "provider edge
card" on a device. I've recently received an influx of complaints with
Verizon FIOS support claiming no issues on their network and that it's
other networks experiencing issues.

Found a couple recent threads that appear to be experiencing similar issues.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1247379
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/outages/51139

Possibly affected Verizon prefixes

173.57.0.0/16