[outages] Rogers fiber cut between Vancouver and Seattle?

Hugo Slabbert hslabbert at stargate.ca
Tue Dec 1 11:27:16 EST 2015

Latest update from this morning (summarized from a voicemail rather than
text update):

- jointing area is being prep'd for initial testing to check for damage and
  continuity towards Seattle, which will take a few hours
- if testing is successful, both cable ends will then undergo final prep
  for splicing, which will take another 3 hours
- time to complete testing and working the cable to the proper length took
  longer than expected
- another hour before prep starts and then 3-4 hours for splicing
- once the fibers have been spliced, outside techs will then be given an
  hour's notice to begin end-to-end testing

Voicemail noted 07:00 - 07:30 AM PST as the time when technicians would
begin testing.  As the message came in at 07:42 AM, I can only assume that
either the actual update from the field came in much earlier and was just
getting relayed now, or their times are off given that they were talking
about 4-5 hours between testing + splicing.

--
Hugo