[outages] Comcast LA issue?

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Thu Feb 19 18:32:09 EST 2015

On 2/19/15 3:07 PM, Jeremy Chadwick via Outages wrote:
> Something weird is going on with Comcast in Los Angeles: small packets
> appear to be getting discarded with a loss rate of ~6-10% while larger
> packets (I've tried 1000 and 1200) seem to make it through without any
> loss.  Things like SSH and IMAP+SSL are impacted consistently
> (particularly during key exchange), while HTTP does not appear to be, so
> the issue appears to be affecting both TCP and ICMP (have not tested
> UDP).

Seeing similar things in the San Francisco Bay Area for the last few hours.

Certain combinations of IP addresses/ports/protocols/packet sizes
completely fail or have > 30% packet loss; changing one of those
variables changes the result.

This results in neat things like "HTTP from a browser fails, but 'telnet
host 80', 'GET / HTTP/1.0' works just fine".

Lots of probably similar problems here:

 https://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/san-francisco

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/