[outages] NANOG

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Mon Oct 26 11:26:47 EDT 2015

FYI, closer inspection of the most recent samples (via NANOG) suggests
that someone may have stuffed a cork in it circa 0130 UTC yesterday
(Sunday), as I don't yet see any messages whose arrival time at
mail.nanog.org is later than that.  I speculate that perhaps what we're
observing now is the outbound MTA queue draining.  (Although if that's
correct, I don't understand why someone didn't stop it and manually
clean it out.)

As an aside, a couple of years ago I argued that Mailman should have
a feature added that measured the normal rate of message flow (per hour,
per day, perhaps per week) and provided a setting which would engage
the moderation flag if that rate was exceeded by a (configurable)
multiplier.  E.g., "if normal for this list is 20 messages a day and
and the multiplier is set to 3, then once the message count hits 60
in a 24-hour period, hold all subsequent messages for manual approval".
This is one of the use cases that I had in mind for it.

---rsk