[outages] NANOG

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Oct 26 11:41:14 EDT 2015

On 26 Oct 2015, at 11:26, Rich Kulawiec via Outages wrote:

> As an aside, a couple of years ago I argued that Mailman should have
> a feature added that measured the normal rate of message flow (per
> hour,
> per day, perhaps per week) and provided a setting which would engage
> the moderation flag if that rate was exceeded by a (configurable)
> multiplier.  E.g., "if normal for this list is 20 messages a day and
> and the multiplier is set to 3, then once the message count hits 60
> in a 24-hour period, hold all subsequent messages for manual
> approval".
> This is one of the use cases that I had in mind for it.

I like that idea, but I wonder whether it has unpleasant implications
for operations lists.

If something horrible happens in a global context, it's not unusual for
somewhat quiet ops lists to explode with content. That's kind of what
those lists are for. It'd be unfortunate if the one time you really
wanted the list to work in anger, it automatically throttled itself.

Joe