[outages] Level 3 intermittent packet loss in Dallas

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Oct 28 12:08:41 EDT 2015

On 10/28/15 7:25 AM, Dan White via Outages wrote:
> We've opened a ticket with Level 3 (9896580) regarding intermittent packet
> loss affecting certain source/destination IP pairs, with certain pairs
> receiving 100% packet loss, and others passing traffic normally.
>
> For example, we were unable to ping 4.2.2.3, from a particular IP address,
> but could ping 4.2.2.2, and 4.2.2.4.
>
> We've disabled our Level 3 BGP session while we trouble shoot. This
> problem was causing some very strange trouble reports from our customers,
> such as certain sites not working, or working intermittently.

hashing across a particular lag bbundle or router backplane. if you can
deterministicaly  recreate it with a particular 5 tuple that's what it is.

incrementing through the port space is one way

for i in `seq 26000 32000`;do curl -svo /dev/null
http://destination-thats-approiate  --local-port $i--retry-delay 10 ;done

if you have circuits on more than one edge router in the pop you may be
able to isolate which of the routers it is.