[outages] AT&T Outages in TX, NE, IL, etc.

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Aug 17 12:23:29 EDT 2016

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016, Ben Bartsch via Outages wrote:

> As far as we know, it was a single flooded CO on Choctaw that is
> responsible.  We have heard zero information from AT&T as to what the cause
> is or the ETR.  They simply state 'we have technicians staged and are
> working on it'.  They brought in cell towers on wheels into Baton Rouge but
> couldn't reach Livingston because the roads were flooded.  The roads have
> been opened for about 16.5 hours now and service is still down.  A little
> more transparency by AT&T would go a long way.

It might make sense for AT&T to develop a mobile barge/boat-based cell
tower, given all the flooding. If they can put a cell tower on wheels, they
can put one on a boat, make it float, secure it with extendable legs.

Or talk to Google about a temporary Project Loon hovering in the sky over
the area. Or Softbank.

http://gizmodo.com/5909392/japans-softbank-carrier-unveils-earthquake-proof-floating-cell-towers
http://www.marketplace.org/2012/06/08/tech/fcc-considering-plan-launch-floating-cell-towers