[outages] FYI: TMobile USA NAT64 is broken

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Feb 5 08:39:38 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 08:03:13AM -0500, Javier Henderson via Outages wrote:

> > On Feb 3, 2016, at 7:00 PM, Mark Felder via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> >
> > If you have an iPhone and have iOS 9.3 beta2 you receive carrier update
> > 23.5.4 which makes your LTE IPv6-only. There are major issues with
> > TMobile's existing NAT64 implementation. I suspect it is limited to UDP
> > traffic, but I am limited from what I can test with my iPhone. Most TCP
> > traffic seems to work, but it's impossible to do Facetime (audio or
> > video) calls, etc. The push messages (TCP) are received by both ends,
> > but the session never successfully connects and it times out.
> >
> > Alternatively I've noticed it's impossible to connect to any Plex
> > servers (TCP, port 32400).
> >
> > All of this is resolved if you use a VPN, which is frustrating. I hope
> > this is fixed before 9.3 rolls out to everyone.
>
> TCP traffic is affected also. I can’t SSH to IPv4 addresses, for example.

	This is as expected I'm sure.  You should not be using using IP Classic
addresses like that.  Is there a reason you don't have DNS on your IP address,
or an IPv6 address on the device?

> The odd thing is that not all IPv4 traffic is affected. For example, I can browse to http://www.delta.com/ which appears to return only an IPv4 address (through a CDN).

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net