[outages] FYI: TMobile USA NAT64 is *not* broken

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Fri Feb 5 10:04:02 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 07:39, Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 08:03:13AM -0500, Javier Henderson via Outages
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Feb 3, 2016, at 7:00 PM, Mark Felder via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have an iPhone and have iOS 9.3 beta2 you receive carrier update
> > > 23.5.4 which makes your LTE IPv6-only. There are major issues with
> > > TMobile's existing NAT64 implementation. I suspect it is limited to UDP
> > > traffic, but I am limited from what I can test with my iPhone. Most TCP
> > > traffic seems to work, but it's impossible to do Facetime (audio or
> > > video) calls, etc. The push messages (TCP) are received by both ends,
> > > but the session never successfully connects and it times out.
> > >
> > > Alternatively I've noticed it's impossible to connect to any Plex
> > > servers (TCP, port 32400).
> > >
> > > All of this is resolved if you use a VPN, which is frustrating. I hope
> > > this is fixed before 9.3 rolls out to everyone.
> >
> > TCP traffic is affected also. I can’t SSH to IPv4 addresses, for example.
>
> 	This is as expected I'm sure.  You should not be using using IP Classic
> addresses like that.  Is there a reason you don't have DNS on your IP
> address,
> or an IPv6 address on the device?
>
> > The odd thing is that not all IPv4 traffic is affected. For example, I can browse to http://www.delta.com/ which appears to return only an IPv4 address (through a CDN).
>
> 	- Jared

I think we can rule out TMobile from being the problem here. I did some
testing with Cameron and things looked normal to him so he pulled in an
Apple developer TMobile has contact with and they were finally able to
reproduce this.

It seems to me they know how to fix this as he stated that they will be
contacting the developers of affected apps to let them know they need to
change something as well.

--
  Mark Felder
  feld at feld.me