[outages] eBay Partial Outage?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Mon Nov 7 21:55:20 EST 2016

Can confirm from Comcast in Silicon Valley (Mountain View, CA).

Behaviour appears to be: TCP connection is established, but no payload
response is given when a GET is issued.  Simple example:

$ telnet www.ebay.com 80
Trying 66.211.181.181...
Connected to www-us.g.ebay.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.ebay.com

{just sits here, doing nothing; I literally waited 4 full minutes}

The reason you get a "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" is that many browsers have
strict internal timeouts that are reached when it comes to request
payload response.  telnet, on the other hand, will happily stay there
for as long as the TCP stack's timeouts permit.  :-)  I did not see
any sign of a TCP RST or abrupt FIN socket closure.

I can provide more detailed analysis if asked (curl can give a more
thorough breakdown of time spent in phases), but the root cause for such
behaviour are many -- I'd rather not speculate.

DNS-wise, this is the result:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.ebay.com.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.ebay.com.           210     IN      CNAME   www-us.g.ebay.com.
www-us.g.ebay.com.      58      IN      A       66.211.181.161
www-us.g.ebay.com.      58      IN      A       66.211.181.181

I see the same behaviour from both .161 and .181.

I will note, however, that occasionally I do get back content/payload
after some time, so I think whatever the issue is intermittent in nature
(maybe something like 85% broken, 15% functional).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |