[outages] Level3 VoIP Issues?

Mike Castoro mcastoro at AdriannaPapell.com
Tue Oct 4 17:47:03 EDT 2016

No snark intended.  Just relaying the story as I heard it.  I also questioned the fire/fiber cut order.

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Outages [mailto:outages-bounces at outages.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Shultz via Outages
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 5:41 PM
To: Randall (Randy) Raitz <randy.raitz at readytalk.com>; outages at outages.org
Subject: Re: [outages] Level3 VoIP Issues?

I have a feeling that "fire from a fiber cut" email was a bit of snark (playing on the usual evasive answers you get about many outages) and not meant to be taken seriously.

But who knows? My cynicism filter might be set a little high this afternoon.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Randall (Randy) Raitz via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> Has anyone received anything about the outage that includes details on
> the fire? So far, below is what I’ve received:
>

> Outage Start: October 4, 2016 14:06 GMT Outage Stop: October 4, 2016
> 15:31 GMT Root Cause: Calls were not present in Level 3 voice
> switches, impacting voice services in multiple markets of the United States. Fix Action:
> Configuration adjustments were implemented to allow calls to reach the
> switches and complete appropriately. Reason for Outage (RFO) Summary:
> The Voice NOC investigated reports of voice service impact throughout
> multiple markets in the United States. The equipment vendor was
> engaged for assistance with investigations. No inbound or outbound
> calls were present in voice switches. The Voice NOC was able to
> implement configuration changes that were successful in allowing calls
> to reach the switches and process accurately. The Voice NOC will
> continue to fully evaluate the incident and appropriate actions will
> take place to ensure incidents of this nature do not recur in the future. Services are currently restored and stable.

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 01RPxFHga) is spam:
Spam:        https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?i=01RPxFHga&m=a0e5f28f98eb&t=20161004&c=s
Fraud/Phish: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?i=01RPxFHga&m=a0e5f28f98eb&t=20161004&c=p
Not spam:    https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?i=01RPxFHga&m=a0e5f28f98eb&t=20161004&c=n
Forget vote: https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/b.php?i=01RPxFHga&m=a0e5f28f98eb&t=20161004&c=f