[outages] [US] DNS issue

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Fri Mar 24 18:28:44 EDT 2017

The below is purely anecdotal.

I saw something similar yesterday for about the same duration.  This was
around 18:15 PDT (UTC-7).

I saw what I can only describe as "slow responses" from authoritative
NSes for root-servers.net (responsible for .) and gtld-servers.net
(responsible for .com).

What I couldn't determine was whether or not this was network-level
(i.e. IP backbone issues) or with the actual NS themselves: by the time
I had set up tools and relevant bits to delve deeper into both
possibilities simultaneously, it had disappeared.

I don't use my ISPs nameservers, Google, Verizon, or OpenDNS -- I run my
own caching NS that utilises named.cache/named.root -- so this wasn't a
case of "maybe your upstream ISPs DNS was slow".

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |