[outages] Level3 high latency and some packet loss Columbia SC

Berry Mobley berry at gadsdenst.org
Wed Sep 13 17:01:16 EDT 2017

We are back up as of about 30 minutes ago, here's the last we got from
Level3:

*** CASCADED EXTERNAL NOTES 13-Sep-2017 20:26:29 GMT From CASE: 13369921
- Event Outage Start: September 13, 2017 14:28 GMT Outage Stop:
September 13, 2017 18:15 GMT Root Cause: A link was down impacting IP
services for multiple markets in North Carolina.

Fix Action: Services were re-routed, thus restoring services to a stable
state.

for North Carolina. Services began to re-route, however, due to an
overutilization issue a delay was experienced. It was determined the
service disruption remained ongoing. The IP NOC began attempting to
shift traffic to resolve the overutilization issue, however many clients
continued to experience packet loss and latency. The IP NOC completed
migrating the affected service to adjacent paths and service restored.
This service impact has concluded; if additional issues are experienced,
please contact the Level 3 Technical Service Center. There may be
additional analysis and discovery that occurs as the incident is
reviewed by NOC management. Any available updates will be relayed upon
event ticket closure. At that time, a customer satisfaction survey link
may be available. We strive to provide thorough communications
containing the available information during a service disruption. Please
let us know if the updates you received during this event were satisfactory.