[outages] flowroute increased 2400 percent belgium ?

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Fri Apr 5 14:34:42 EDT 2019

Izzy,

A few years ago there was a large increase in costs to EEA countries where
the CLI is from a NON EEA country. It started with Italy and it slowly
started growing to other countries. I am not sure when the Belgian carriers
raised their rates but it seems like your upstream just hit you with it.
There isn't much a way around this unless you find a carrier that has
breakout pricing based on the CLI that you are sending. The reason for this
is the EU mandated that pricing between EEA countries go down. The carriers
had to recoup their losses so now non EEA countries have to pay. This has
had a domino affect on the industry. Because Switzerland is *NOT* in the
EEA the calls for those carriers to EEA countries went up. In turn the
Swiss carriers raised their rates to gain back on their losses. Some larger
carriers have a wholesale rate of €0.75 per minute to mobile phones there.
Lastly we have seen this now with South Africa. The wholesale prices went
up 10x. This has lead to a lot of grey routes where when you call you hear
all sorts of messages such as your account balance is low (this indicates
people are using GSM gateways).

Regards,

Dovid