[outages] CenturyLink Internet Outage in Iowa, possibly Nationally?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Aug 23 14:57:41 EDT 2019

*** CASCADED EXTERNAL NOTES 23-Aug-2019 18:45:17 GMT From CASE: 16976512 -
Event
*Event Conclusion Summary*

Outage Start: August 23, 2019 14:44 GMT
Outage Stop: August 23, 2019 17:19 GMT

Root Cause: A fiber cut caused multiple isolated routers in Des Moines, IA
that was impacting IP services.
Fix Action: Impacted services were migrated to a diverse fiber path.

impact in Des Moines, IA and the IP NOC began investigating.  It was
advised that multiple routers had become isolating causing impact to IP
services.  Field Operations were dispatched to the site of the isolated
routers but confirmed power and were unable to identify any issues.  The
Transport NOC was then engaged and identified a suspected fiber issue.
Field Operations were dispatched for initial light level testing.  Initial
light level testing confirmed the existence of a fiber cut in the area, and
Field Operations advised there were multiple instances of constructions
works ongoing in the area.  Field Operations began traversing the span and
taking additional light level readings from manholes along the span.  Field
Operations later identified that equipment laying rock in the area had
damaged multiple cables.  Efforts to identify the extent of the damage and
formulate a repair plan remained ongo
 ing.

While efforts to identify the fiber damage were ongoing, services were
migrated to a diverse fiber path to restore all services.  At this time all
services have been restored but are currently in a Loss of Redundancy state
while the fiber repairs remain ongoing.  The Transport and IP NOC will
continue to monitor services while the fiber repairs remain ongoing to
ensure stability.  A final notification will be provided momentarily.

This service impact has concluded. Due to the nature of this outage, it may
be necessary to reset your services locally at your equipment.  If after
that action has been performed a service issue prevails, please contact the
CenturyLink Repair Center for troubleshooting assistance.  There may be
additional analysis and discovery that occurs as the incident is reviewed
by NOC management. Any available updates will be relayed upon event ticket
closure within the next 72 hours. At that time, a customer satisfaction
survey link may be available. We strive to provide thorough communications
containing the available information during a service disruption. Please
let us know if the updates you received during this event were satisfactory.