[outages] amazon.com down?

Paul Ebersman list-outages at dragon.net
Thu May 28 16:14:02 EDT 2020

dan.walters> Simile.amazon.com and business.amazon.com both seem to be
dan.walters> working but [[www.amazon.com]] and amazon.com both are not.

I was debugging as it was coming back up. It looks like a failure
somewhere in the CNAME chain from AWS to akamaiedge.

Initial CNAME on ultradns worked, it broke a couple of steps further.

jlk> The strange part - why is amazon using Oracle (Dyn) and Neustar
jlk> (ultradns) for dns? I'd expect them to trust route53, but I guess
jlk> redundancy...

DDoS/redundancy for the entrance to the CNAME chain, would be my guess.