[outages] Fwd: Your Bandwidth support ticket is updated (Connection issue on trunk)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sat Sep 25 18:55:00 EDT 2021

Our monitoring first detected the issue at 3:00:03pm US EDT (19:00:03 UTC)
and we detected recovery starting at 5:47:49pm US EDT (21:47:49 UTC) for a
total outage of 2h 47m.

When I first called at 3:07pm the TAC was not aware of any issues. I opened
a ticket at 3:15pm and the status page was first updated at 3:31pm. Quite a
delay.

Thanks for posting this, Bruce! I look forward to the COE/RFO, how it was
mitigated, and how they hope to reduce the impact of DDoS attacks in the
future.

After this and the VoIP.ms DDoS, it begs the question who the bad actors
are and what their goals are. Infrastructure attack? Misdirection?
Telephony attack to end-around TFA for targeted individuals? US Government
Red Team?

Beckman