[outages] Ping to Google 8.8.8.8

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 01:46:31 EST 2022

On 2/9/22 07:30, Grant Taylor via Outages wrote:

> Many ships have sailed, as in left the dock, but never reached their
> destination.

You mean like PMTUd, and such :-)?

We probably won't get that one back, and unless we do something,
inability to ping 8.8.8.8 will result in unnecessary NOC tickets
claiming "the Internet is down".

> That's /one/ option.
>
> Another option is for Google, et al., to simply drop ICMP packets to
> their DNS servers.
>
> Is this heavy handed?  Probably.
>
> Is it a viable option to persuade people to not ping said DNS servers?
> yes.
>
> Will it achieve the desired result of having people stop pinging
> Google's DNS servers?  Quite likely.  Admittedly with a long tail.

Yes, this helps Google not having to deal with the problem, but it
passes the burden both to the ISP who has to explain why the Internet is
now down, and to some other online service who now has to sink ping
traffic. Perhaps Yahoo will pick that priviledge up again, like they did
back in the day :-(...

Mark.