[outages] [External] Re: 4.2.2.2 down in LA area

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:28:24 EST 2023

Additionally, configuring one DNS server is a bad idea. I’m not sure if
4.2.2.2 is anycasted, but 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 exist and all work, so if
you are a Lumen customer and want to use their resolvers, it’d be prudent
to configure any two of those.

In other words, I mean this as gently as possible, but one of six redundant
servers going offline is not what I’d call an “outage.”

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 08:34 Mike Bolitho via Outages <outages at outages.org>
wrote:

> Speaking as a former Level 3 employee from way back. 4.2.2.2 is NOT a
> polling server. So if you're using it for that, you should stop. Second,
> while it is publicly available for DNS, it is first and foremost a server
> for Level 3 customers. What they do with it and how available it is outside
> the network is not guaranteed. YMMV.
>
> - Mike Bolitho
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2023, 3:03 AM Michael B. Williams via Outages <
> outages at outages.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Team - I have been seeing issues as well since approximately 19
>> December 2022.

Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey
VBH M-1C