[outages] [External] Re: 4.2.2.2 down in LA area

Richard Golodner Rgolodner at infratection.com
Wed Mar 8 13:54:11 EST 2023

Cisco TAC had advocated to use 4 2.2.2, but a few years ago GTE suggested alternative targets for testing public connectivity.And yes, 4.2.2.2 being down does not constitute an outage.Richard GolodnerInfratection
-------- Original message --------From: Hunter Fuller via Outages <outages at outages.org> Date: 3/8/23  12:29  (GMT-06:00) To: Mike Bolitho <mikebolitho at gmail.com> Cc: OUTAGES Mailing List <outages at outages.org> Subject: Re: [outages] [External] Re:  4.2.2.2 down in LA area Additionally, configuring one DNS server is a bad idea. I’m not sure if 4.2.2.2 is anycasted, but 4.2.2.1 through 4.2.2.6 exist and all work, so if you are a Lumen customer and want to use their resolvers, it’d be prudent to configure any two of those. In other words, I mean this as gently as possible, but one of six redundant servers going offline is not what I’d call an “outage.”On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 08:34 Mike Bolitho via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:Speaking as a former Level 3 employee from way back. 4.2.2.2 is NOT a polling server. So if you're using it for that, you should stop. Second, while it is publicly available for DNS, it is first and foremost a server for Level 3 customers. What they do with it and how available it is outside the network is not guaranteed. YMMV.- Mike BolithoOn Wed, Mar 8, 2023, 3:03 AM Michael B. Williams via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:Hi Team - I have been seeing issues as well since approximately 19 December 2022.

-- --Hunter Fuller (they)Router JockeyVBH M-1C+1 256 824 5331Office of Information TechnologyThe University of Alabama in HuntsvilleNetwork Engineering