[outages] IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 17:13:37 EDT 2023

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jay R. Ashworth via Outages" <outages at outages.org>

> I could be unsurprised to find that the carrier VoWIFI proxies missed out on
> proxying SMS Cell Broadcast, which I gather provides the underlying PHY for
> CMAS.

I have now an authoritative report that no, the carrier WIFI proxies --
carrying your voice calls to your carrier over someone else's wifi and the
Internet, to be clear -- does *not* proxy the cellular control channel
necessary to make CMAS/WEA work, and those alerts can be expected NOT to
arrive if your phone is on WIFI only or out of all range of ANY carrier's
towers.

The only reports I'm still looking for are ones from people who are sure their
phone was set to WIFI-only, and was out of range of cell coverage, and still
got the national test alert, today at 1418EDT.

Thanks,
-- jra