[outages] IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Oct 4 19:49:34 EDT 2023

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Ryan McGinnis via Outages wrote:
> Also, I believe this specific type of alert cannot be disabled in the U.S.
>  This is the “dear taxpayer, nuclear war has just broken out and
> you’re gonna die horribly but we wanted you to have some time to have
> regrets” alert.

In the European Union, it is call EU-Alert Level 1.

It is a global standard. Cannot disable the Presidential Alert,
EU-Alert Level 1, etc.  Whether a country uses all emergency mobile alert
levels is a country-by-county decision.

Almost all mobile phone implements the global standards the same way.
None allow the user opt-out of the mandatory national alert code (EU-Alert
Level 1, Presidential Alert, whatever its called).  Some countries use
the mandatory national alert code, other countries don't.

Here is the EU version of the global emergency mobile alert standard
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102900_102999/102900/01.03.01_60/ts_102900v010301p.pdf

Tourist phones will work the same way as locally purchased phones when
used in each country.