[outages] Microsoft Azure, 365 and status page all apparently down.

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Jul 30 12:49:04 EDT 2024

> On Jul 30, 2024, at 18:37, Shaun Potts <shaun.m.potts at gmail.com> wrote:
> right because no vendor any of us use has interdependencies with microsoft services

That was exactly my point.  Some people make choices which prove to have Microsoft dependencies, some don’t.  It’s a choice.  Some people make it each way.  Then Microsoft has yet another outage, as they VERY FREQUENTLY do, and somehow, some people are surprised, all over again.  But it was their choice.  Some people try to convince themselves that Microsoft is in the “death and taxes” category.  This is just your reminder that it’s not, it’s in the “self harm/own-goal” category.  If you were affected, AGAIN, you could make other choices, and join the camp that doesn’t have anything to complain about when Microsoft has an outage AGAIN.

Admittedly, I was a bit worried at first when I saw airlines complaining about the Crowdstrike/Microsoft outage, but my travel was all on United, and it turned out that they hadn’t made the mistake of using either anywhere critical, just on kiosk display stuff.  So, good for them, though it would be better if they didn’t flirt with these kinds of risks at all, since they seemingly propagate when people aren’t paying attention.

                                -Bill