[outages] Microsoft Azure, 365 and status page all apparently down.

Shaun Potts shaun.m.potts at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:09:11 EDT 2024

i find it *really **really *hard to believe that you or your org doesn't
use AD, or GitHub, or any external service that interfaces with
Entra/AAD/whatever microsoft has named it this month, or <you name it here>
but if that's the case, good on you. other cloud providers have outages
too, just as bad, and in the grand scheme of things just as frequently,
just not recently.

also worth saying, crowdstrike still wasn't a microsoft issue, aside from
being the affected platform. crowdstrike has caused kernel panics on linux
machines too *shrug*

anyways, not looking to get into a nerd fight with someone who has
realistically done a lot for the world's internet infrastructure,

it always just really saddens me when i see people in prestigious positions
in tech taking positions like this, which are really below people in their
station. i guess i would just say try to put on a better face as someone
people in tech should be looking up to instead of gaining internet points
by batting at low-hanging fruit when a major provider has a major outage.

next time layer3 or akamai or <insert backbone provider here> has a major
outage, would you quickly jump to go "haha, not affected here either!" or
are you just letting personal bias get in the way of rational discourse?

my $0.02

(p.s. neither of the companies i work for or make technical decisions for
have a huge foot in microsoft tech either, this is just me being purely
objective)