[rbak-nsp] SE800 QoS profiles

Sridhar manisridhar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:11:59 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,
When you mention that traffic to the user goes over an L2TP tunnel, I
assume you are referring to the SE800 functioning as an LNS.

It is possible to configure a QoS queuing policy on the subscriber
profile either through Radius or local configuration on the SE800,
that prioritizes downstream traffic to the user, while simultaneously
metering it as well. This configuration does not require that the
SE800 know the actual DSL sync speed, but assumes that it will be at
least whatever the user is paying for  (8Mb or 2Mb in your example).

Here's what the config would look like with a 2Mb limit. Using a
marking policy at the ingress port where the traffic comes in from the
core, VoIP traffic goes into queue 1 below, and non-VoIP into queue 2

qos policy l2tp-silver pwfq
 rate maximum 2000
 num-queues 4
 queue 0 priority 0
 queue 1 priority 1
 queue 2 priority 2 weight 100
 queue 3 priority 2 weight 50
 queue priority-group 0 rate 128
 queue priority-group 1 rate 512
 queue priority-group 2 rate 1500 exceed

You can see that:
1. the policy caps the aggregate traffic at 2000Kbps
2. VoIP traffic in queue 1 has strict higher priority than non-VoIP
traffic in queue 2
3. Priority-group 1 (queue 1) traffic is capped at 512 Kbps
4. Priority-group 2 (queue 2) traffic is capped at 1500 Kbps, but
allowed to exceed this cap if there is no higher priority traffic.

Hope this helps.

thanks
sridhar