[rbak-nsp] SE800 QoS profiles

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Sat Sep 5 02:58:48 EDT 2009

The way this is normally solved, without your LNS knowing their bandwidth and  without having to revert to changing the user's QoS profile dynamically with every re-sync based on this, is to create your product (based on the telco product) by shaping down to maxima (i.e all users who want QoS can have no more than a 2Mbit line)
and rejecting unsuitable minima (that unless users can sync at at least 2Mbit they can't have QoS)
This way you create a uniform product, albeit restricted to 2Mbit , everybody who can sync at 2Mbit and above are shaped down to 2Mbit (and then have predictable QoS parameters) and everybody who can't achieve 2Mbit can't get the service (unless you want to have a 1Mbit product as well)

Since your provider is unlikley to prioritise traffic in their network, nor even offer an SLA, the very act of prodividing a DSL QoS product should occur in a tightly controlled environment (if at all), try taking a look at your competitors, I'm sure you will see that they do the same.

David Freedman
Group Network Engineering
Claranet Limited
http://www.clara.net