[rbak-nsp] qos queuing with L2TP tunnels

Ian Calderbank ian at calderbankconsulting.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 04:37:10 EST 2011

Hi Rick,

The bandwidth shaping values on redback pwfq are in my experience extremely
accurate if you measure them with an ixia or similar. But it may indeed
depend on what level you've applied the policy as to which overheads are
counting and which aren't.

If you are looking to match only l2tp traffic on that port (because there is
other significant traffic) then you should be able to use a metering policy
with an acl to match the l2tp, classify your l2tp traffic with that, then
push it into a (set of) queue(s) that you want to shape.

It's not doing DPI (there was the ASE blade, but I guess you don't have one
of those) it should just be down to what level of circuit you've applied the
policy to as to whether its working on subscriber level or tunnel-transport
level.

This is a tad complex for mailing list..as I mentioned the other day, I am a
freelance consultant, you can hire me by the day J

cheers

Ian