[rbak-nsp] Metering/QoS reporting and updating

Blake Willis blake at ibrowse.com
Fri Oct 7 14:46:38 EDT 2011

On 7 Oct 2011, at 18:00, redback-nsp-request at puck.nether.net wrote:

> If I apply ratelimiting/metering/a QoS profile to a circuit is it
> possible to monitor throughput and packets dropped etc via SNMP or
> some other method? I'd like to be able to limit traffic on several
> links and report on traffic levels, queing and drops in realtime.

Hi John,

In general, if the cli command is a general "show" command, then you
can be reasonably sure that there's a MIB for it.  If you need to go
as far as "show card X" to get what you need (e.g. NAT stats) then
you'll need something to parse the cli data manually.  On our boxes
I've set up error & discard graphs for all the physical ports & PVCs;
I imagine that SNMP or bulkstats would give you at least the discards
for PPP sessions as well.  I'm a lot less sure about individual
queues...

> Is it possible to dynamically set and change the limits in realtime
> either via SNMP, Radius or some other method (preferably other than
> a script to login and update the config)?  If so any examples would
> really be appreciated if possible.

The smartedge will take a radius CoA for at least "Qos-Rate-Outbound"
& change that on the fly; we have some scripts set up that get the
sync speed from the CPE after it connects & sets the QoS rate
accordingly.

HtH...

---
  Blake Willis