[rbak-nsp] CLIPS and DHCP

Alexandre Chapellon a.chapellon at horoa.net
Wed Oct 12 05:42:54 EDT 2011

Hello,

First of all , keep in mind that am not a redback expert. I don't
personnally use such devices but i work with operator that uses
redback... just to say, sorry if I do not use the usual terms used in
the redback world ;).

I have a setup with Redback smartEdge BRAS using CLIPS to allow
subscribers to access the network.
It mostly works as expected. However, there is few things that do not
fit my needs.

1 - I tried to disconnect subscribers using a CoA packet. I use
radclient (the freeradius client) to send that CoA disconnect specifying
the following attributes in the request:

User-Name = 00:94:d7:9a:d9:20
Acct-Session-Id = FF16001A7802E2F8-4E83201C

The BRAS seems to honor the disconnection as shown by the output of the
command:

rad_recv: Disconnect-ACK packet from host smartedge port 3799, id=13,
length=32
     Error-Cause = 200
     Event-Timestamp = "Sep 29 2011 11:37:03 TAHT"

Further more if I try to send again the CoA disconnect, I get the
followinf error:

*rad_recv: Disconnect-NAK packet from host smartedge port 3799, id=184,
length=32
     Error-Cause = Session-Context-Not-Found
     Event-Timestamp = "Sep 27 2011 00:16:22 TAHT"*

Wich leads me to the conclusion the subscriber should not access the
network anymore. Unfortuantely, on the CPE side, I can still ping
internet adresses and browse the web.
How comes? Is it because of CLIPS itself being connection-less? Is there
something special to send in the CoA request? Is there any alternative
to shut network access for a specific subscriber using CLIPS?

2 - The other thing I'd like to achieve is having some king of
redundancy for the DHCP part. DHCP redundancy by itself has been  setup
but i'd like redback BRAS to be able to use several DHCP servers
addresses: use secondary if primary doesn't answer (just like for radius
server). Even better, is it possible to send some redback (or others)
attributes in the radius Access-Accept to tell the BRAS which DHCP
servers adress(es) to use?

3 - Nothing to do with previous questions, but does redback smartedge
devices support diameter instead of radius?

Best regards.
--
<http://www.horoa.net>

Alexandre Chapellon

Ingénierie des systèmes open sources et réseaux.
Follow me on twitter: @alxgomz <http://www.twitter.com/alxgomz>